Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"We don't even know how life got started on Earth"

So says the newest winner of what used to be called "The Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion," Cambridge cosmologist Martin Rees, here.

And not only that:

RCR: You are often presented in the press as a respecter of the gods but not a believer in them.

Rees: I think that's true. I don't have any religious beliefs but I'm not allergic to religion. I participate in the religious services of the Church of England, which is the culture in which I grew up. I'm an analogue to the substantial fraction of Jews who don't believe in God but still practice some of the traditional rituals. The liturgy and music of the English Church are part of my culture that I value and would like to see preserved.



Averse alike to flatter, or offend,
Not free from faults, nor yet too vain to mend.


-- Alexander Pope