Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's the Weather Forecast for the End of the World this Saturday?

Fire, or ice? Desire, or hate?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great,
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost, 1920

Or perhaps just spring-like?

Critics point out that this isn't the first time Mr [Harold] Camping has predicted the second coming. On 6 September 1994, hundreds of his listeners gathered at an auditorium in Alameda looking forward to Christ's return.


"At that time there was a lot of the Bible I had not really researched very carefully," he said last week. "But now, we've had the chance to do just an enormous amount of additional study and God has given us outstanding proofs that it really is going to happen."