Saturday, July 29, 2017

Samuel Johnson's definition of an enthusiast ably describes Paul of Tarsus

Samuel Johnson defined an enthusiast as "one who vainly imagines a private revelation", and "one who has a vain confidence of his intercourse with God".

 
 
 
 
 
Of course "the out" is in the words "vainly" and "vain". As a Christian Johnson would never have admitted the emptiness of Paul's claims. Nevertheless Paul himself clearly boasted both of his revelation's thoroughly private and divine nature and of his immediacy with God, which means Paul put himself and his message beyond scrutiny. We have all met this type, and there is no arguing with them:


Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

-- Galatians 1:1

But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

-- Galatians 1:11f.

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

-- Galatians 1:15f.