Thursday, June 20, 2019

John's risen Jesus uniquely says touch me, don't touch me within the space of just a few verses

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

-- John 20:17

Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

-- John 20:27

The oddity is just one of many involved in all the resurrection narratives, but especially John's, which gives every impression of wanting to conclude at the end of chapter 20, but then picks it up again. There is a perfunctory summary quality to all of the narratives, which combines with the differing details to give the impression that this is the least certain part of the tradition.