Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The law is light and life, but Paul the Apostle thought it only a light . . . on sin

Mosaic of Christ before Pilate, Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo in Ravenna, early sixth century. Pilate washes his hands in a bowl held by a figure on the right. "I find no fault in this man".


 
 
All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers.
 
-- Deuteronomy 8:1
 
In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.  

-- Deuteronomy 30:16
 
He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
 
-- Proverbs 4:4
 
For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
 
-- Proverbs 6:23
 
Keep my commandments and live;
 
-- Proverbs 7:2
 
The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. 
 
-- Proverbs 13:14

He that keepeth the commandment keepeth his own soul;

-- Proverbs 19:16
 
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.  

-- Matthew 19:17

If there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
 
-- Galatians 3:21
 
I had not known sin, but by the law ... For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.  And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 
 
-- Romans 7:7, 9ff.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
 
-- Revelation 22:14