Thursday, June 4, 2015

Memory allows us to be more like God, who uses his to cut off but also to forgive

"Memory is actually the human way of approximating God’s mode of existence. In other words through memory, we can be more like God. It allows us to have many things present, in a sense, all at once. God is eternal; to be precise He does not need to ‘remember,’ for all things are fully present to Him at once."

-- John Cuddeback, here

Tommy never badmouthed his old bandmates. ... "In my dealings with them I tried to harness as much of the brilliance, but a lot of times I got burnt. ... I think about them all the time. They are all always present in my consciousness -- in my daily life, they're always with me.”

-- Tommy Ramone, here

The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.

-- Psalm 34:16

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

-- Jeremiah 31:34